Preventative Care Questions and Answers
Our doctors and medical staff at Bridgewater Primary Care & Cardiology in West Bridgewater, MA offer a wide range of preventive care services to you and your loved ones so you can lead a healthy and happy life. For more information, call us or book an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
What is considered a preventative visit?
What is included in a preventive care visit?
Is an annual physical a part of preventative care?
What does Bridgewater Primary Care and Cardiology do for preventative care?
What is the benefit of preventative care?
There are many important aspects of healthcare, but few are as crucial as preventative care. An old adage goes ‘an ounce of cure is worth a pound of prevention,’ which is as true today as it was when it was first coined. This old aphorism means that it is easier to prevent a condition from occurring than it is to treat it after it has already manifested. An easy way to understand this is through vaccinations, which are designed to prevent a number of known diseases and are so effective, have nearly eradicated several of them from the general public. There is a reason why most of us do not have to worry about polio, and that is all thanks to preventative care.
A preventative care visit includes healthcare services such as regular check-ups, screenings and vaccinations. This type of care can help patients and providers catch health problems before they become serious or develop into further complications. Preventative health visits focus on maintaining health and preventing common diseases and conditions. It can also include the prevention of injuries.
Preventive care visits are unique to each patient and depend on their health needs, risk factors and lifestyle factors. They may include:
– Annual Check-Up — These are performed to check all areas of a patient’s health, both physical and emotional. This can help in the early detection of health concerns, before they develop into serious medical problems.
– Flu Shot — This helps protect from certain strains of the flu virus; different strains are chosen each year based on their likelihood of occurring.
– Mammogram — Mammograms are routine x-rays of breast tissue that check for any signs of abnormal growths or other irregularities.
– Colonoscopy — A colonoscopy is a screening test for colon cancer and can help in the early detection of signs that may lead to cancer of the colon.
– Vaccinations — Also known as immunizations and inoculations, vaccines provide protection from diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and polio.
Yes, an annual physical is part of preventative care as it aids in the early detection of disease. People who receive physicals annually are less likely to become hospitalized or develop chronic conditions.
Bridgewater Primary Care and Cardiology offers the following preventative care services:
– Prostate exam
– Annual physicals
– Breast exams
– Pap test
Preventative care provides many benefits, including:
– Improves Health in the Long-Term — By detecting health problems early on, preventative care helps people improve their health by avoiding disease and health conditions.
– Increases Lifespan — Because preventative care allows patients and providers to catch things early and treat them much easier, it can drastically increase a person’s lifespan.
– Avoid High Medical Expenses — Preventive care can both detect diseases before they become too serious, or inform patients of problem areas of which they should be aware, which will drastically reduce the cost of treatment.
– Covered by Insurance — Preventative care is completely covered by most insurance policies, which is significantly less expensive than treating avoidable complications.
Stay on top of your health with the preventative services provided at Bridgewater Primary Care & Cardiology. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced providers of preventative care and can help you detect health concerns before they become a problem. Call us today at (508) 469-4626 to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 711 W Center St, West Bridgewater, MA 02379. Our office is open five days a week: Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from West Bridgewater MA, Bridgewater MA, Taunton MA, Middleborough MA, Plymouth MA, Pembroke MA, Braintree MA, Mansfield MA, Stoughton MA, Brockton MA, Wareham MA, Somerset MA, Attleboro MA, Abington MA, and surrounding areas.